Categories: IP Job Openings
Date: Aug 14, 2017
Title: IP Operations Manager
“This is a new role created within the Intellectual Property team here at Gilead Sciences, reporting into the Vice president of Intellectual Property and will support an international department of about 20 Attorneys. This is an opportunity to develop and manage a high performing team to review best practices and implement processes to improve operational excellence to support significant volume and highly impactful work. This team is made up of high caliber, reputable and extremely hard working IP professionals and they are integral to the companies’ ability to continue providing therapies to medical areas of unmet needs worldwide.”
Specific Responsibilities and Skills
• Management responsibility for Patent and Trademark Docketing and Annuity (“PTDA”) team
• Supervises, coordinates, and monitors docketing and annuities functions and relations within the PTDA team
• Responsible for PTDA resourcing, planning, and recruitment practices
• Drives design, implementation and maintenance of docketing policies, processes and forms for the PTDA team in collaboration with attorneys
• Responsible for ensuring that the docket and annuities are current and accurate and all deadlines are met
• Reinforces quality control and quality assurance of docketing and annuities
• Provides subject matter expertise to docketing and annuities staff
• Collaborates with the Associate General Counsel of Trademarks to design, implement and maintain a system for tracking trademark clearance results
• Collaborates with VP IP and finance to set and monitor the accuracy of the IP department budget
• Provides valued input to the IP Leadership Team regarding departmental resource needs
• Responsible for leveraging existing technology to provide metrics and reporting to address various business needs for IP status
• Manages and oversees the integration of new IP files and the transfer of IP files between external counsel as needed
• Collaborates with the Associate General Counsel of Patents to organize the agenda, minutes, actions and docketing for the Patent Review Committee
• Collaborates with Legal Operations to evaluate new technology/service providers for docketing and annuities solutions
• Collaborates with Legal Operations to implement new technology solutions or upgrades for the IP department
• Coordinates with Legal Operations to ensure IP Department library services and subscriptions needs are met
• Coordinates with Legal Operations to manage all IP department service contracts
• Evaluates PTDA team personnel performance conducts performance reviews, addresses concerns, and provides recommendations regarding promotion, development opportunities and performance improvement to the VP IP
• Develops and implements effective on-boarding and continuing best-practice training opportunities for PTDA team
• Collaborates with IP Paralegal Manager and paralegal team to ensure data integrity and implementation of substantive law and rule changes and regarding planning and strategic initiatives
• Serves as a career counselor for the growth and development of the PTDA team personnel
• Manages day-to-day relationships with external docketing system vendors
• Approves time-cards, and vacation and overtime requests consistent with company policy
• Serves as a trusted and respected partner to the IP Leadership Team with a willingness to offer perspective, challenge thinking and show initiative toward the success of and strong reputation of the IP department.
• Proven leadership, management and supervisory experience(s) with a demonstrated inter-personal skills and the ability to teach, coach and build confidence to motivate staff through adoption of new processes
• Demonstrated success in managing significant organizational and process change with an understanding of effective means of designing and implementing efficient business processes in the PTDA function and reinforcing consistent adoption.
• Demonstrated problem solving skills with an ability to identify issues, develop creative solutions and to learn new things quickly
• Extensive experience with the use of IP department systems such as PAIR, TSDR, IPDAS, docketing systems (e.g., CPI) and legal document management systems (IManage)
• High proficiency with technology and the efficient use of technology for organization, reporting and automating processes.
• Understanding of US and foreign PTDA and trademark clearance requirements necessary to evaluate, design and implement efficient and effective business processes
• Demonstrated ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
• Highly organized, self-directed, efficient time management, ability to prioritize multiple complex tasks
• High proficiency in computer skills including Word, Outlook, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, and Adobe
Education and Experience
• Associates degree and significant docketing experience is required – Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
• Must have 5+ years of experience in personnel management
• Must have 10 years of relevant IP docketing and annuities experience
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills
• As a management position, this is an in-office position not suitable for regular work-from-home needs.
• Business travel is not required.
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.